Online casino gaming is a popular pastime that has many advantages over a traditional bricks and mortar casino. However, by its nature you will always have cases of schoolboys gambling away their parents life savings on a borrowed credit card, or of a vulnerable person taking solace in the camaraderie of the players in an online poker room.
Sensible online gaming can be lucrative and great fun! However, if you feel you are facing a gaming problem you should cease immediately. The following are what are intended as some useful tips to allow you to play online in a sensible and profitable manner. If you experience problems please contact gamblers anonymous or seek expert help...
When you gamble online do...
1. Before you start play set your budget limit and stick to it. Set also your profit target amount and make it reasonable.
2. Watch how your bet is placed by dealers, they do make mistakes.
3. Leave while ahead. The feeling is great and you are likely to win again next time.
4. If you lose your set limit and cannot bear to watch others gamble, leave.
5. Never borrow money to gamble and don't lend either. Lending money to a friend who is losing badly is a sure way of losing him - and probably the lent money too.
6. Do your homework before you gamble online, not after. Read the rules, check the terms on bonuses and cashing out, in particular.
7. Check the customer service response before you sign up with an online casino. Make a phone call or send them an email with a question and see how long it takes them to reply.
8. Check if the online casino is a member of a known association. This won't be a guarantee, but it surely reduces the risk of being let down.
When you gamble online don't...
1. Don't be afraid to bet. If you are not up to it, don't gamble.
2. Don’t try to impress people by betting more than you can afford.
3. Don't drink and gamble.
4. Don't gamble if you feel tired.
5. Don't increase your bets to try to recover losses.
6. Don't be greedy; if you lose what you have just won, you are.
7. Don't gamble more than your set limit.
8. Don't stay beyond what you have set out to do.
9. Never quit after a win.
10. When you win a lot, don't think it's easy. It may feel that way but it never is.
11. Don't bet more than you can afford especially on a new game or a game that you don't know all the rules of.
12. Don't always go for the home run...remember...the tortoise always wins the race.
13. Don't play scared. If your bankroll has gotten too low for your approach, walk away with what's left.
14. Just be smart. Let common sense take over, don't think with your money, think with your mind.
15. Don't play without a system, any system! Unless you play for fun.
16. As a beginner, don't try to master all the games at first, learn how to play well 1 or 2 games...
If you have read the above you are ready to try an online casino, first read reviews in our Online casino directory. Try out some of the free games or sign-up for great offers and free competitions from our partners. If you are wary of online casinos, first try your luck at a proper land-based casino. Our UK landbased casino directory lists places to play in all major UK cities, from Aberdeen, Bristol and Bath, to London, Liverpool and Wolverhampton.